Building reparations during a guest stay might cause
Maintenance in the hospitality industry is a strategic and vital investment. Maintenance has not only a direct impact on perfect functioning and good conservation of equipment and facilities without losses or reparation, also failure impact on operations, leading to bigger problems as it compromises customers’ loyalty and in guest experience/satisfaction. (Costa, 2018)
Preventive maintenance can be used for cleaning, adjustments, repairs, inspecting and replacing etc.
Preventive maintenance is an important maintenance category for hotels. The main reason is to reduce the cost of repair or replacements of the goods and at the end to avoid unnecessary cost without generating an excess of administrative work (Martins, 2018). Hence, there won’t be any unplanned investments which are more expensive and will lead to more saving than preventing costs. Also, reparations during a guest stay might cause for dissatisfaction and even for clearing out the area which means no guests no money plus employees will still be paid.
Requirements for preventive maintenance
Preventive maintenance means routine and regular maintenance to help keep equipment up and running, preventing any unplanned and expensive failures. The most important point of preventive maintenance is that it requires careful planning and scheduling of maintenance on each equipment before there is an actual problem as well as keeping accurate records of past inspections and servicing reports which help technicians to diagnose the problem. (MicroMain, 2018) Also important is knowing the lifespan of every equipment and their replacement frequency, so the technicians know when the time has arrived to change or replace parts before any problem occurs. (MicroMain, 2018)
The right preventive maintenance requires varies based on the use and type of equipment. The Netherlands Standardization Institute (NEN) recommends standards in order to use them as a check-list to determine the type of inspections and maintenance needed and how often they should be performed. (BV, 2018)
· A well-done inspection
· Rely on human sensing for unusual smells, sounds, tastes etc.
· Monitoring, checking of threshold points of equipment
· Calibration of the equipment with NEN standardization
· Planning/Scheduling and estimating time, cost
· Check-list checking for not missing any important point (Industrial-electronics.com, 2018)
· Keeping records of things that are done, when and which equipment
Preventive Maintenance Benefits
Preventive maintenance involves systematic inspection of equipment where potential problems are detected and corrected in order to prevent equipment failure before it happens.
Some important benefits of preventive maintenance are listed below: (MicroMain, 2018)
· Fewer expensive repairs caused by unexpected equipment failure that must be fixed quickly
· Reduced risk of injury of guests and employees
· Less unplanned downtime caused by equipment failure
· Extend the life of hotel’s equipment
· Improved reliability of equipment
· Saves time
· Preventive maintenance will also keep the hotel running smoothly, productively and efficiently.
Preventive Maintenance Procedure that Ibis Student is following
· Listing of all equipment that has to be preventive maintained
· Adding the frequencies of how often the listed equipment should be maintained
· A well-organized time schedule or software which shows the equipment and the task for at least a year
· Assigning a responsible person, team or department
· Inspections if the work has been done properly
· Updating records to see when the next maintenance is due (Industrial-electronics.com, 2018)
The preventive maintenance will be properly organized by hotel’s maintenance department. They are responsible for the contracts between the experts who are going to prevent the problem and for the maintenance schedule which shows what and when has to be maintained.
Ibis Student Hotel Maintenance Management Goals for 2020
• Water and energy saving
• CO2 neutral buildings
• Recycling soaps with reusing by others
• Reduce food waste by 30%
• Have 80% of all work be proactive (inspections, preventive maintenance and repairs).
• Reduce energy consumption by 15%. (Smith, 2018)
• Reduce customer complaints (maintenance related) by 30%.
• Employee satisfaction
Preventive management is very expensive and complex. It needs discipline and money to coordinate all the schedule. Ibis Student is a budget hotel and is not able to have own technicians to check for all the equipment, especially because there are a lot of equipment that has to be taking care of. For this reason, corrective maintenance will also be used as a backup plan for the preventive maintenance to cover the mistakes if something happens and to save some money if you don’t have the capital at first. It is also not necessary to use preventive maintenance at tables, chairs, cupboards or stuffs that is not used very often.
Preventive maintenance vs Corrective maintenance at Ibis Student
While some equipment is more important as use it is important to use preventive maintenance before it breaks. However, some repairs are unpredictable are not going to cause chaos at the hotel. For example, checking the electric meter needs preventive maintenance and light bulb replacements needs corrective maintenance.