Simazine toxic, if ingested it’s moderately toxic and

Simazine is a white crystalline powder, before 1992 it was used to control submerged weeds and algae in large aquariums, farm ponds, swimming pools and cooling towers.The chemical formula of simazine is C7H12CIN5 and the solubility of water is 5 mg/L, molar mass is 201.657g/mol at room temperature. It is used to control broad leaves, in berry fruit, vegetable crops and vineyards. At higher rates it is used for non selective weed control in industrial areas.(Extension Toxicology Network, 1993)Simazine is quite a harmful pesticide. If inhaled it is highly toxic, if ingested it’s moderately toxic and slightly toxic towards skin contact. An experiment was done where, rats were given a oral dose of 5,000 mg and showing signs of irregular breathing and drowsiness. Also a single oral dose of 4,200 mg produced anorexia and the rats died between 4-10 days due to the weight lose. When exposed to this chemical, it can cause acute and subacute dermatitis and the burning lasts for about 4-5 days.  There are a total of about 21 cases, involving irritation to eyes, skin and respiratory passages. Several involved general central nervous system effects for example: nausea, headache, dizziness. (Toxnet, 2008)The most affected area would be California. They would use simazine as a pesticide for their plants but the simazine would leach into the ground water which would affect the water. It plays a fundamental role in a prevention to water. Groundwater systems are used as a drinking source. Since simazine is not soluble it does not dissolve easily into water, which makes the water contaminated.(Simazine, n.d.) San Joaquin Valley of California they use about 2.0 kg of simazine to control weeds in 45,000 hectare of citrus during the winter and fall seasons. They are affected by using simazine because when they spray the pesticide on their plants it goes into their groundwater which contaminates the water. In California they have issues with their blood, high blood pressure or even low count on red/white blood cells. (Movement of simazine in runoff water and weed control from citrus orchard as affected by reduced rate of herbicide application, 2002)This chemical is very dangerous to our environment. It is classed as toxic to wildlife, more specifically aquatic organisms. Simazine applied to soils or hard surfaces may run off into water bodies. Simazine in the atmosphere is usually deposited onto soils or water bodies – and that which remains is broken down within a matter of hours. Simazine can persist in soils and waters for a considerable time. For this reason, Simazine pollution is of concern at a global as well as local level.There are two main ways to get rid of simazine in water. One way is separation by gas/liquid chromatography and detection by electrolytic conduction, a conventional treatment. Conventional treatment processes are reported ineffective. 44% reduction in simazine concentration has been reported following treatment of water with an initial simazine concentration of 480 mg/L by powdered activated carbon. Powdered activated carbon absorption has also been reported to result in 43 to 100% removal of simazine from water, whereas granular activated carbon absorption has resulted in 35 to 89% removal.(Some suggestions are to decrease the amount of pesticides we use, to not spray simazine on plants, look for other alternatives. Also to try and help others to get clean water by consuming less, not leaving the tap running, using as much as needed etc.